Know the Signs
Mental health conditions are common and treatable.
Here are some common signs that your child or teen may be struggling with their mental health:
- Have they been sad for the last two weeks or more?
- Are they avoiding social interactions?
- Have they hurt themself or talked about hurting themself?
- Are they talking about death or suicide?
- Have they had emotional outbursts or extreme irritability?
- Have you noticed out-of-control behavior that could be harmful?
- Have they had drastic changes in mood, behavior or personality?
- Have you noticed changes in their eating habits?
- Have they lost weight?
- Are they having a hard time sleeping?
- Are they having frequent headaches or stomach aches?
- Are they having a hard time concentrating?
- Have you noticed changes in their grades?
- Are they avoiding or missing school?
If you notice any of these symptoms, do not ignore them. It may be more than having a bad day. If you think they may be struggling but aren’t sure, ask them how they’re feeling and talk about it. Do not be afraid to seek professional help. Remember, help is available and recovery is possible. The earlier you seek treatment, the better.